Friday, June 16, 2006

My First Post

I think that it is reasonable for my first post to have some discussion of who I am and why I am here. I will leave it to you to decide if I have anything worthwhile to say.

I am an attorney in my early forties living in the Washington, D.C. suburbs. I have a wonderful wife and daughter. I grew up in Brooklyn, New York and went to college and law school in Maryland. I am a registered Democrat who considers himself a liberal and progressive. There are, however, a few issues where my leanings may be moderate, libertarian or even conservative. I do not hate Republicans nor do I think the Democrats have all the answers. I do believe, however, that the policies of the Bush Administration and the Republican controlled Congress are damaging our great country.

This country opened its arms up to my grandparents; Eastern European Jews seeking a better life in what they called "the golden land." My maternal grandfather idolized FDR. My parents admired JFK. I was raised to believe that unions were a good thing that helped ordinary working people realize the American Dream. I am a product of public schools, a state university and state law school. The public education system has allowed me to realize my own American Dream and it is a resource that should be cherished and nurtured.

I am worried about the future. I wonder if our beloved country is a ship about to run aground. Will we be just another empire cast into the trash heap of history due to our own arrogance and greed? I hope not. By creating this blog I hope to add my voice to the millions of others who think anyone can make a difference.

I hope to post to this blog weekly but perhaps more often if time permits. I will leave you with a poem I wrote recently that captures my feelings on the events of the past few years.

End of Days?

It all began when the election was stolen.
But we didn’t realize the system was broken.

The Towers came down.
The die was cast.
The Bill of Rights became a thing of the past.

Yellowcake uranium, aluminum tubes.
WMDs they said he would use.

The threat was imminent we were told.
We didn’t know the lie was bold.

Mission Accomplished, the sign said.
Tell that to the wounded and dead.

Shattered lives on both sides.
The pictures are kept from our eyes.

Flag draped coffins, in a hangar they’re laid.
But we cannot see the price being paid.

A storm, a flood, a great city in tatters.
They’re poor, they’re black, they really don’t matter.

Pensions gone, jobs offshored.
Millions more for corporate boards.

Quakers and Grannies are labeled as threats.
Not a second thought about the national debt.

Truth, justice and the American way.
Is it just a quaint notion of bygone days?

We used the bomb first.
He may use it again.
Do they really want to bring on the end?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

first time i ever read a blog, let alone comment on one. a man with a young daughter should stand up and sound the alarm. he wants her future secure in a free society instead of a society where all of her civil rights are up to a police state.

June 17, 2006 10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope more young people speak out, because I have to believe that it's not to late and that you can make a difference.

June 18, 2006 8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS IS OUR FIRST TIME THAT WE EVER READ A BLOG. THE REASON WE READ IT IS BECAUSE OUR SON WROTE IT. WE ARE VERY PROUD OF OUR SON THAT HE CAN WRITE WHAT HE FEELS IN HIS HEART FOR HIS FAMILY AND ALL MANKIND. MOM AND DAD

JUNE 19, 2006 6:17 P.MM

June 19, 2006 9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first time ever reading a blog. Your words, your thoughts, your feelings are so powerful. As a Black female descendant of slaves and native Americans, I am very troubled by the actions and thinking of this Republican controlled administration. Getting people all up in arms because somebody of one sex might want to marry someone of the same sex so that a bogus war could be fought, or so that people wouldn't pay attention to the environment or job security or the fact that money is being given to the rich in some form shape or fashion and being taken from programs that help the neediest of our citizens (children, the handicapped, mentally ill, seniors, etc.). Deregulation being promoted so that basic services that we depend on will be so costly. For example, my electric rates may go up 72% because THEY think competition is a good thing. Even the founding fathers of this great country who thought my ancestors were only 3/5 of a human being, knew that certain things need regulating since "man" is basically greedy and selfish.

After Katrina, many people generously gave money to help people in need but look at what happened since no one was monitoring or "regulating" human behavior. I think your idea that an agency could have been set up to hire people to work to rebuild New Orleans, was an excellent idea. Less money would have been spent and the money that was spent would have been used for the
established purpose. Plus, people would have used their skills and gotten experience that could be used for other purposes during times of calm or when another devastation occurs.

It is truly a shame that our country seems to have lost the ability to think things through and to act for the greater good and not just what is convenient or good for one individual or one group.

What is happening in our country is sad. We must hold our elected officials and others in leadership roles accountable and we must become more politically active. Not just by voting but by sending our dollars and using our voices. Thank you for starting this blog, I hope it will envigorate us to greater thought and greater action.

Your friend who is NOT an Angry Black Woman (smile)

June 20, 2006 3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You have taken an important step toward taking back our democracy. If liberal democratic progressive blogs did not exist, I would probably be insane after the "con game" played at the highest levels of government over these last few years.

I realized the republican party had determined to destroy our democracy during the impeachment of President Clinton. However, at that time I did not realize they would also destroy the world in the process.

Well, I choose to peacefully oppose their dirty tricks with information and a peaceful demand that my rights are returned to me. I will vote, I will demand that the election process is open and fair and the ballots are properly counted, I will demand truth from my representatives, I will donate money to individuals who raise their voices in my behalf, and I will volunteer to help causes such as Move-on, the ACLU, and the DNC.

You make me proud to be a friend.

June 20, 2006 5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting pics for 2008. What are your thoughts on Sen. Byde? I've heard good things. I've also gotten to the point of feeling like we're watching a huge iceberg course toward a ship with insufficient life boats. I've written to my congressman, but really... what good will that do? I live in a red state. I just hope that people wake up enough and vote out these corrupt people who are ruining this country and needlessly and criminally spilling the blood of our military men and women. (And not to mention a HELL of a lot of civilians who don't seem to be that much FREER than they were before.)

June 21, 2006 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home