Friday, August 11, 2006

Why Lieberman Lost

Most people will tell you that the reason Senator Joseph Lieberman lost the Democratic primary to Ned Lamont was because his strong pro-Iraq war positions did not play well with Democratic voters in Connecticut. While that is certainly true, I believe another important reason he lost was that voters realized he was an arrogant, self righteous, pompous a**hole (pardon my language). I think it began with his "how dare someone challenge me" attitude and just went downhill from there. He chastised groups like MoveOn and liberal bloggers who challenged his positions and countered with how he had a 90 percent plus record for voting with the Democrats. Yet at the same time he was getting signatures for petitions to run as an independent. Other Democrats supported the war but none became President Bush's personal cheerleader. I think his lack of character and class was confirmed when he said he was going to run as an independent because "For the sake of our state, our country and my party, I cannot and will not let that result stand." He even had the nerve to say that Lamont's anti-war views help terrorists. I have something to say to Senator Lieberman and other smug politicians out there. Your jobs are not permanent, people can and should challenge you in primaries, you work for us, and we can fire you come election time. His actions during the primary are an example of the feeling of entitlement exhibited by many entrenched incumbents on both sides of the aisle. I wonder if one day soon the electorate needs to kick all the rascals out and start over. I think we would gain more than we would lose.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all very simple. The same can be said of John McCain...power corrupts.

August 19, 2006 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home