Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Standing Up For Principles

I could write pages about all the life lessons, values, and principles taught to me by my Mom and Dad. One of the most important things that I learned from my parents is the principle of standing up for yourself and what you believe is right. While my parents taught me to respect authority, they also told me that you can challenge it. They do not accept the conventional wisdom that you cannot go against management, you cannot fight city hall, or you cannot win against those who are rich, powerful and well connected. I have seen my parents use these principles throughout my life. Sometimes they have won, sometimes they have lost, but more importantly they always put up a good fight.

I recently used the principle of standing up for yourself and what you believe is right with respect to my annual performance evaluation. I have been at my job for 17 years and have always received excellent ratings. This year was no exception but when I looked at the ratings a little closer I noticed that I had been downgraded in one category. This was a surprise to me because there was no indication during the year by management that my skills had diminished. Moreover, the justification for the lower grade was identical to the justifications I received for a higher grade in prior years. I knew the downgrade could be attributed to management’s thinking that there is “grade inflation.” While I have no doubt there are employees receiving grades that are not deserved, I know that does not apply to me.

I decided to talk to one of my bosses. I explained why I was dissatisfied with my grade in one category. Then he said the wrong thing to me: “Do you really want to make a big deal about this?” This is something that would irritate my Dad and it had the same effect on me. The answer should have been obvious to him otherwise I would not have asked for a meeting on the subject. He said he had to talk to some of the other managers and would get back to me. It is unfortunate that many times when you stand up for your principles people show you a lack of respect by trivializing your concerns.

I will be pursuing my concerns until I receive the appropriate satisfaction. As my daughter gets older, I will teach her about standing up for herself and what she believes is right. I hope that I will do as good a job as my Mom and Dad did with me.

2 Comments:

Blogger tamiwriter said...

It really is so important to stand up for oneself. If you don't, people will take advantage. Every one in a while you have to remind them that you know what they're doing and that they can't just walk all over you. Sheesh. I hope everything was resolved in your favor. Obviously that guy was a baboon.

August 31, 2006 12:10 PM  
Blogger dbf729 said...

Thanks for the support. People have to realize that they will be held accountable for their actions otherwise you get on the proverbial slippery slope. I am still waiting for a response. I think the managers are trying to get their stories straight.

August 31, 2006 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home