Monday, October 30, 2006

At A Crossroads

I have been an attorney for the federal government for 17 years. I believe that government service is a worthwhile career that provides a decent salary and benefits, flexibility, and the satisfaction of helping your fellow citizens. In addition, my personality and second generation American, lower middle class background likes the stability provided by a civil service job. However, I find myself at a career crossroads. I have reached the highest level as a staff attorney and the next logical step would be a management position. I have expressed my interest in a management position to my boss but nothing has happened. Meanwhile, people from the private sector with connections are being brought in at supervisory levels and attorneys who have a decade less experience are being promoted to management positions. While my area of specialization is not highly valued at my agency, I have not been given a good opportunity to develop in another area despite promises to the contrary. Believe me, I understand that life is not fair and no one ever said it was going to be.

The big question is what do I do? Do I express my dissatisfaction to my boss? Do I just stay where I am and bide my time until change occurs? Do I look for opportunities elsewhere in the agency or even elsewhere in the government? While I know I would be a good manager because I am fair, treat people decently and like to teach, am I not fully considering the pitfalls of dealing with personnel issues? Am I putting too much emphasis on my job and allowing that to define my success? Am I incorrectly believing that the grass would be greener somewhere else? These are the questions that I am pondering.

However, I don't want you to think that I am not happy. I have a beautiful, wonderful wife and fantastic daughter who will soon be two. Every moment I spend with them is precious to me. I am able to indulge my interest in writing through this blog. I just started a three year term on a citizen advisory board in my county and am hoping to make a contribution there. I am the general counsel of the union at work and know that I have been making a contribution on that front. I am very interested in getting involved in the 2008 presidential election and am just looking for the right Democratic candidate.

I obviously have a lot of thinking to do. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home